Ph.D., B.Ed., P.Eng.
Dr. Pickel is Project Engineer with PSI.
Dr. Pickel’s professional experience has taken shape over ten years of practical work experience and academia. During his undergrad, Dr. Pickel worked in field and laboratory material testing, including road construction. Dr. Pickel’s master’s and doctorate degrees are in Civil Engineering from the University of Waterloo, where his research involved pavement material recycling and innovative rehabilitation strategies for high-volume highways.
He is a professional engineer who has experience in pavement and materials engineering. He has developed rehabilitation designs, specifications, and reports for several projects. This was done in conjunction with road authorities, owners, and contractors in the context of applied research projects.
Dr. Pickel has worked with road authorities and owners for 5 years. His experience in laboratory testing and non destructive data collection and analysis allows him to help clients understand the condition of their assests and make educated decisions for the future. He has considerable experience with pavement design methods, including PavementME design software (MEPDG).
- Ph.D., Pavement Engineering, Civil Engineering, 2018, University of Waterloo, Waterloo ON, Dissertation: Precast Concrete Inlay Panels: Rehabilitation Strategy for High-Volume Highways in Ontario
- B.A.Sc., Pavement Engineering, Civil Engineering, 2014, University of Waterloo, Waterloo ON, Thesis: Recycled Concrete Aggregate: Influence of Aggregate Pre-Saturation and Curing Conditions on the Hardened Properties of Concrete
- B.A.Sc., Civil Engineering, 2009, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
- Ed., Intermediate Senior Mathematics and Physics, 2011, University of Western Ontario, London, ON
- Registered Professional Engineer, Professional Engineers Ontario.
- 10 Refereed Journal Papers
- 11 Conference Publications/Presentations
- 18 Technical Reports
- 13 Invited Presentations and Industry-based Courses